Tuesday 5 December 2006

Foot Steps

Often life is about following in foot steps.
We strive to follow those in front, whether it be a relative, a teacher or a self chosen hero.

But often the steps we follow the most, the hardest steps to follow are the little things. Something small being done by someone we know and we can't follow it.
For some people this is something like not being able to say "I love you" back to a partner and for others its simply being monogamous...

For me............I don't think I've found it.

I beleive in honesty, brutal and forward.
Yet I can't break someone's trust.

If I KNOW someone is going to be hurt, how do you ruin one friends impression of you to save anothers. Does it matter if he will never find out I knew in advance...

Inside it does. I know the mistakes. I know the errors. I know the time I havent spoken out.

I'm afraid to defend a friend who was verbally attacked.
The office environment I am in is malicious and evil. It's a genuinely harmful place to work.
Constantly at one another's throats, the pack of jackals seeks a new throat to devour.
So she was the target.
First how she spoke, then something she did, and as they continued on self reinforcing, supporting one another's claims, they needed to stay in the game...

Like most bitter and self righteous attacks they lost focus. Suddenly the issue was that she had helped. She had done something of her own free will and of no harm to anyone. And they all finally had the same point.

It was raised again 4 times. The same point. The same comments, and not once did it sound like she had done something wrong. If you're curious what she did?

She made 4 phone calls from home. 4 calls to find the right company a customer needed.

Is this where we live in? Is this the world I want to be a part of?

I cannot change the actions of others, I cannot make others see the error of their ways.
And sadly I cannot speak up when someone I cared about is being ravaged by the jackals.

The superman has let the world down again.
Suddenly I feel not so super.
Would anyone else notice I didnt speak up? I'm only a guest.

1 comment:

-Me said...

It saddens me that the Jackals view not only their enemies as prey, but one another. She ought to have been protected by some, or immune to their attacks due to her physical and emotional proximity, yet she was left defenseless.

Should our guest have spoken up, he would have been fed to the Jackals as well.

While I'm not trying to be presumptuous, or tell you what you ought to have done, I often think about this within the context of my own interactions with people.

Continuing with my theme of looking to the mistakes of yesterday to find the answers to the problems of today I give you Pastor Martin Niemöller's words (one of several English translations).

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left
to speak up for me.

-Pastor Martin Niemöller