Monday 6 November 2006

Shouldn't she know?

How do people not realise things that are right in front of them.
Things matter in life and a relationship, some things don't.

Conversation matters, interaction and sharing.
This is where it should all start from.

And yet some people have lists.
Items jotted down, a post it note in the back of your brain.

Must like dogs. Must go windsurfing.
I want someone who writes.

Maybe criteria can be useful, and negative criteria I'm all for.
I see no problem with having traits you don't want in a partner.

But having a list of what I should live up to........ that's like picking your meals based on a pre-defined list. Regardless of what you feel like or how hungry you are.

I guess spending hours locked in coversation isn't important to some people. Or maybe it is and there's something I don't match up to......

Does an average looking guy need to do much to entertain a woman?

Now this leads me to my second point, and this one is going to be the cause of much upset, maybe for many people.


I am NOT trying to impress you. This is not how relationships work.
As a man, I will choose if I am interested in a woman, I will show interest, I will share my good side, I will make sure she knows my negative traits and dark secrets. (why risk things going bad later)

This does not mean I go out of my way to impress you and you do nothing for me.
Sorry sweetheart, pick someone else.

Message to the last woman I dated.......You needed to impress me as much as I needed to impress you. And sorry to say......... You didnt do so well.

I can't complain too much though.

After all I'm only a guest.

1 comment:

MadameBoffin said...

I think you've got the right idea here. I know what you mean by not impressing someone - it's not about not caring enough to impress someone. That misunderstands caring. It's more caring to yourself and to others to be honest about yourself: trying to be someone who you're not, in an effort to show someone your best side (or a better side) can only lead to disappointment and frustration (not to mention bitterness) later on. Completely learnt this one the hard way. And still learning.

Question, though: I'm just a guest. I don't want to read too much into this but I find this appellation interesting. I guess you can see it at face value - you have your Superman persona and Superman is a guest on our Earth but, in reality, do you perceive yourself as a guest of society? As not quite involved as everyone else appears to be? Do you see yourself in the role of observer rather than the participator?